Monday, August 8, 2011

Buttermilk

If you saw the menu posted for dinner last week you would have seen that I was making a cold tomato soup with cornbread croutons (this was a huge hit in our house!).  I made the cornbread from scratch using the recipe on the side of the cornmeal container, but I didn't have any milk other than whole in the fridge and I didn't want to add all of that fat to it, so I used some low-fat buttermilk that I had.  I don't know why I have never done this before, but I will tell you that I will only use buttermilk in cornbread going forward!  The bread turned out so moist and light, it was just delicious! 

You can make your own buttermilk using the following recipe:

Via


Homemade Buttermilk


Ingredients:
  • Milk (just under one cup, and you can use any kind you want, including skim)
  • 1 Tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice
Preparation:
1. Place a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup.
2. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line.
3. Let stand for five minute. Then, use as much as your recipe calls for.

Here are some fun recipes I found using buttermilk, besides in pancakes, biscuits, scones, waffles, etc.

Buttermilk Bark

Via



Via


Via


Buttermilk-Cumin Crackers from Martha Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...