Last weekend I really wanted something sinful. I found this recipe on Pinterest. It was so rich we couldn't finish it, my husband only took a few bites! Here is my version using dark chocolate and omitting some of the richer aspects of it. It is totally fulfilling!
Peanut Butter Cup Dark Chocolate Brownie Torte - Adapted from Culinary Concoctions by Peabody
Makes 1 Torte that serves 4
3 Brownie Rounds (recipe follows)
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Mousse (recipe follows)
Peanut Butter Cups (I prefer the dark chocolate peanut butter cups from Trader Joe's)
3 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 cup cocoa powder ( I use Special Dark from Hershey's)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Butter and flour three 4 ½ -inch diameter spring form pans or cake pans. Set aside. Alternatively, you can butter and flour an 8 x 8 baking pan and set aside
3. Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix together butter and sugar, about 2 minutes.
4. Add in egg and vanilla. Beat another minute.
5. Pour in cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt. Mix on low speed until fully incorporated.
6. Using measuring cups, pour a heaping 1/3 of a cup into each of the prepared cake pans. If there is any batter left over, try to as evenly as possible, add to the prepared pans. If you used an 8 x8 pan, pour all of the batter into the pan.
7. Bake for 20-23 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and let cool.
Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Mousse
1/4 cup whipping cream, chilled
3 ounces low-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup peanut butter
1. Using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the whipped cream on high until stiff peaks form.
2. Place into a bowl and set aside.
3. Add the cream cheese and peanut butter and whisk on medium speed, until fully incorporated. Add powdered sugar and mix until combined.
4. Add whipped cream back into bowl and whisk on medium high until peanut butter mixture and whipped cream are fully incorporated and the texture is light and fluffy.
5. Place into a medium sized bowl and set in fridge while brownies fully cool. At least 30 minutes.
To Assemble the Torte:
1. Remove brownie from spring form pans. If still too warm, place in freezer for about 10 minutes. If you used the 8 x 8 pan, use circle cutters to cut out three brownie rounds.
2. Place one brownie circle on a plate. Add about a 1/8 cup of peanut butter mousse
3. Scatter a handful of chopped peanut butter cups.
4. Place another brownie round on top of the that. Then add another 1/8 cup peanut butter mousse. Then chopped peanut butter cups.
5. Place third and final brownie round on top of second layer. Add a ¼ cup for the top layer of peanut butter mousse. And more chopped peanut butter cups.