I have never had homemade mayonnaise. This is something I have tried making in the past and it hasn't worked out for me. So this summer I am going to attempt a couple of recipes to see what works. I can't wait to have a BLT sandwich with some homemade mayo!
From Everyday Food:
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a food processor, place egg yolks. (To avoid using raw eggs, substitute yolks from pasteurized eggs.)
- Add mustard and lemon juice. Pulse ingredients until well combined.
- With motor running, add oil in a slow, steady stream (mixture should become thick and emulsified). Season with salt and pepper.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator, up to 1 week
I have also seen Martha Stewart make mayonnaise on tv using an emulsion blender. That might also be a good technique as well. She makes it look so easy!
From Paula Deen via the Food Network
- 2 egg yolks*
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- Dash salt and pepper
- Squirt of lemon juice
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups oil
Put ingredients in blender, and blend slowly, adding oil until you have desired consistency.